Monday, November 4, 2013

Thank goodness I didn’t leave the boots in the cupboard

Today I went for a run/walk, depending on who I’m trying to impress and thought I’d stop at a park not far from the marina where we are staying for a quick cool down. 

There was a group of people dressed in rubber boots, gloves with snippers and syringes filled with blue stuff walking in the swamp/bog.  Whatever, hey I’m not from here so I will call it swamp as it sounds so much cooler. Quite quickly, a gentleman appears from behind a van and says “ we are removing phragmities from our wet land would you like to help?” 

Oh my gosh I am trapped. I never say no. I don’t know how to say no. You know like when a friend calls and says “will you watch my hyperactive kitten that hasn’t 
been house trained for the week end? ”  You instantly respond “sure, sure I would love to”.  Then you spend the next three days trying to figure out how to get out of it. 

Calmly I said, “are there creepy crawly’s? I don’t do creepy crawly’s”. In a very matter of fact voice he responds “yes of course there are but they will slither away before you see them.”  If you have read past blogs or know me at all, you know I just don’t do creepy crawly’s! I politely back away. Mutter some feeble excuse. Hmm I think. I leave and return to the boat. 

Now lets step back oh I’d say a year, maybe a year and a half ago. Marc is at the end of his lets get ready to go campaign. The house is going on the market, the business is being sold and the retirement papers being sent in. 
“Marc we just cant up and leave, how responsible is that. If we at least had a charity that we could work for or toward! We can’t have this life and not give back”  Marc rebuked “yes we can, you will find ways to participate and give back”  He told me it was my responsibility to do what I needed to do for me to be comfortable with the trip. 
Back to today. I’m heading to the boat for a hot shower and lunch but my mind nags. I have an opportunity to spend the day removing invasive grasses from the wet land with people I don’t know but who look so interesting and I am walking away. I am afraid of creepy crawly’s! What will Marc say? What about my commitment to being responsible? Here is my first opportunity to practice what I preach and I’m heading toward the boat. 
When I arrive at the boat I say “Marc where are my rubber boots you insisted I bring with me?”  Scurry to the wet locker. Change my t shirt. Why didn’t I bring a Canadian T shirt? And head back. 

I think they were just as surprised as I was when I came back. 















Mark Berte  the executive director hooked me up with my invasive species phragmities removal gear (gloves & snippers)  and a great young lady named Kandice O Grady and a Biology student Camille Reynolds and off I went. I had the best day ever. Learning about phragmities  wetlands, young attitudes and ideas. Boy this next generation are amazing, adventurous and smart. 

Thank goodness I didn’t leave the boots in the cupboard. Today was one of those good life lessons about getting out there and putting your money where your mouth is. 


The Alabama Coastal Foundation and the Mobile Bay National Estuary Program





Camille Reynolds 







4 comments:

  1. Marc and Linda, I commented on your Nov. 1st blog but don't see it there...did you get it?

    Great photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No posts for quite a while...hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lynne. First let me apologize for my tardiness in writing e mails or just keeping up with the blog for the past month. There is no excuse except for that we were just to tired to write. My last posts were sent when we arrived at Turners Marina on the 29 Oct. That seems like yesterday but also far in the past. We spent the better part of a month cleaning, repairing, replacing & buying ( we are broke now) so that by nightfall we were fell into our bed. Since we left Turners on the 28 Nov travel and rest has been the order of the day. Now this morning at 05:00 I must be caught up as the pull of writing won't let me go back to sleep. So, first a quick note to all then a good cup of coffee and some work on the blog. We have struggled with internet so if we can't update the blog we have sent out a mass e mail to keep everyone updated. We would love to add you to this list. BTW I did reply to your earlier posts but I don't see them. We appreciate you following us, your advice and words of encouragement. Cheers Linda

    ReplyDelete